Tulane Home | Freeman Home | Current Students

Financial Aid

Merit Aid

The Freeman School selects a limited number of domestic students (U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents) to receive partial merit based fellowships. All domestic applicants are automatically reviewed for a fellowship award at the same time as the admissions decision. Dependent upon the type of fellowship offered, specific terms may apply and are included in the admissions notification letter.

Need-Based Financial Aid

Domestic students: Graduate level students use a combination of student loans, work study and personal funds to help defray the cost of educational expenses. At Tulane University, all loans and merit-based aid is administered through a central financial aid office. U.S. citizens and permanent residents may apply for federal need-based financial aid in the form of student loans and work study to cover all educational expenses (tuition, fees, room, board, books, travel and miscellaneous expenses) up to the cost of attendance. In order to be considered for federal financial aid as a graduate student (no parental data required), students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by visiting www.fafsa.ed.gov and request that their information be sent to Tulane University. In addition to the Stafford loan program, students are automatically considered for Perkins loan (when available), GradPlus loan, and federal work-study. Once a student has confirmed their acceptance to the program, the status of a financial aid application can be tracked through the Gibson portal by visiting https://gibson.tulane.edu/tulane/jsp/login.html and selecting the Financial Aid tab. In addition to the FAFSA, students may have other requirements in order to process financial aid.

Eligibility for federal assistance is determined by the Office of Financial Aid, based on federal need-based criteria. All questions and correspondence regarding need-based financial aid should be directed to:


Office of Financial Aid
205 Mechanical Engineering Building
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118-5698
(504) 865-5723 phone
(800) 335-3210 toll-free phone
(504) 862-8750 fax


International students: International students must certify funds to complete one year of the program to secure a VISA to study in the United States. The student should have adequate resources planned to complete the program, and to take advantage of the international experience. International students may seek to borrow funds through the Alternative loan program, however, this option requires that the student have a credit-worthy cosigner who is either a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.

International students should explore International Education Financial Aid (IEFA) website for additional scholarship and loan opportunities. This online resource offers a searchable database which provides direct links to a number of organizations offering assistance to fund study in the United States.

Latin American students from any member country of the Organization of American States (OAS), can seek to borrow funds through the Rowe Fund loan program. The Rowe fund offers up to $15,000 in an interest-free loan to cover the cost of graduate studies.

Last Updated 1/8/14